Volunteer Emergency Relief Workers RCC263
Purpose of the Position
The aim of an ER worker is to assist people experiencing crisis in a way that maintains dignity and encourages self-reliance. A client will enter or access ER to help them through a ‘one-off’ episode. They will be supported with wrap around support through services, information and advocacy. For others, ER maybe part of their solution to dealing with ongoing disadvantage. We provide ER response to community need within the Redlands, Bay Islands and Wynnum/Manly areas.. This position is a volunteer role.
- Conduct assessments with clients who present to the centre in need
- To identify and recommend or refer the client to additional services that are provided within the Centre framework or outside agency network.
- To have knowledge of the different services and pathways of referral
- To entre all client details onto a database accurately
Skills, Responsibilities and Qualifications
- A community or social services background or to be undertaking a current Community Services qualification such as social worker, case worker, teachers, councillors or have a similar or relevant qualification or program.
- Interview and assess clients impartially in relation to their needs and enquiries.
- Provide accurate information and/or referral to appropriate agencies
- Maintain current knowledge of local information/resources available.
- Be aware of and adhere to the Centre’s policies and procedures and abide by the Code of Ethics
- To undertake assessments in non-judgemental manner and be aware of cultural values, differences and attitudes.
- To be able to communicate effectively and be a good problem solver and have the ability to work through challenging situations.
- Accepting of people’s values and life-styles.
- Able to relate to people from various walks of life.
- Have a non-judgemental attitude.
- Work within a team environment.
- Be aware of your own strengths and limitations
- Hold or be eligible to apply for a Blue Card Working with Children.
What we offer.
- A role that is challenging, rewarding and well supported in an inclusive work environment.
- A four-hour shift (1000 – 1400) one day per week or as negotiated with Volunteer Coordinator.
- The opportunity to give back to your community.
If this position is of interest to you, please forward your expression of interest along with your resume (if we do not have it on file already) to firstname.lastname@example.org