Emergency Relief Workers RCC187
The aim of an Emergency Relief (ER) worker is to assist people experiencing crisis in a way that maintains dignity and encourages self-reliance.
A client will enter or access ER to help them through a ‘one-off’ episode. They will be supported with wrap around support through services, information and advocacy. For others, ER may become a part of their solution to dealing with ongoing disadvantage. We provide ER in response to community need within the Redlands, Bay Islands and Wynnum/Manly area’s. This position is a volunteer role in Cleveland.
- Conduct assessments with clients who present to the centre in need.
- To identify and recommend, or refer the client to additional services.
- To have knowledge of the different services and pathways of referral.
- To enter all client details onto a database accurately.
Skills, Responsibilities and Qualifications
- A community or social services background, or to be undertaking a current Community Services qualification such as social worker, case worker, teachers, counsellors or have experience in a similar or relevant qualification or program.
- Interview and assess clients impartially in relation to their needs and enquiries.
- Provide accurate information and/or referral to appropriate agencies.
- Maintain current knowledge of local information/resources available.
- Be aware of and adhere to Redland Community Centre’s policies and procedures and abide by the Code of Ethics.
- To undertake assessments in a non-judgemental manner and be aware of cultural values, differences and attitudes
- To be able to communicate effectively and be a good problem solver, and have the ability to work through challenging situations
- Accepting of other people’s values and lifestyles
- Able to relate to people from various walks of life
- Have a non-judgmental attitude
- Work within a team environment
- Be aware of your own strengths and limitations
- Hold or be eligible to apply for a Blue Card, working with children
What we offer
- A role that is challenging, rewarding and well supported in an inclusive work environment;
- A 4 hour shift (10.00am to 2.00pm) one day per week or as negotiated with Volunteer Coordinator
- The opportunity to give back to your community
If this position is of interested to you, please forward your expression of interest along with your resume (if we do not have it on file already) to firstname.lastname@example.org